Changing Gender Markers in Maryland

The following information is taken from the text of a letter from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. All language was provided by the MVA, and does not reflect the positions of the DC Trans Coalition. It is provided for informational purposes for anyone in the State of Maryland who is hoping to change the gender marker on their driver’s license or other identification card.

During the transitional change (“The Real-Life Experience”), before the Courts can approve a permanent gender change you may request that your driver’s license be changed to reflect your desired gender. To accomplish this, you will have to submit the following documents to the Motor Vehicle Administration for review by its Medical Advisory Board:

  • 1. A letter from you formally requesting a change in gender status. This letter should explain the reason(s) for your request and how you believe you would benefit from this.
  • 2. A letter from the physician administering your hormone therapy and assisting you with any plans you may have for surgery. This letter should indicate the length of time you have been in treatment as well as a statement clarifying the doctor’s impression of your treatment progress and your prognosis for favorable outcome.
  • 3. A letter from you psychotherapist stating the length of tie you have been in treatment, the length of time you have recognized your desire to live in your desired gender, and the length of time you have been living in your desired gender (both privately and publicly). The therapist should summarize your situation, the progress of treatment, the anticipated course of treatment, obstacles to be overcome, and prognosis. The therapist’s professional credential, practice affiliation(s), and current license(s) should be stately clearly.

Upon receipt of all of this information, the Medical Advisory Board will be asked to review the package and render a recommendation to the Administration. If you request is approved, you will receive a letter confirming this. You may take this to any full-service MVA office, where a license reflecting you desired gender will be issued.

If you need additional information, or if there is anything else I might be able to help with, please don’t hesitate to call Ms. D. Fedorkowicz at 410-768-7176 or DFEDORKOWICZ@MDOT.STATE.MD.US.

You will need to mail the above documents to: Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway, NE, Glen Burnie, MD 21062, ATTN Medical Advisory Board.

1 thought on “Changing Gender Markers in Maryland

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s